Menorca Beach Guide (beta)

search beaches in Minorca:

Tourism information www.illesbalears.es

Ses Salines
Es Mercadal
Ses Salines

Platja de ses Salines is situated at seven kilometres from es Mercadal, located in the interior of Badia de Fornells (protected as Àrea Natural d'Especial Interès where the fishers know the best places for the prized menorcan lobster), between Cala Blanca and the port, as well as next to the village with the same name. From its coast you can see Illot Ravells and Illa Sargantana. This sandy coastal stretch is more than one kilometre long. There are residential houses at the rear, which reach the coastline. In the summer it is very crowded by local visitors and tourists. Near this coastal corner there is Trompetera, a sandy area which is 250 metres long and which is normally frequented by families. Small boats and people who like water sports, especially windsurfers, share this coastal stretch with the swimmers. The fact that this beach is located in a wide closed bay makes it very popular for learning safely all types of sailing. The large size of the Badia de Fornells allow the navigator to follow the coast and see places like Cala Blanca, l'Era, Illot des Porros, Cala Cabra Celada, s'Arenalet or Racó d'en Coeta.

The proximity to the village of Fornells invites you to visit this beautiful fishing port and to try the lobster stew. The accessibility by car is easy following the signs and the deviations. The private car can be left on a free parking area in the surroundings.

Information about this beach may change. To confirm the data or consult changes or new features, please contact the municipal tourism office below:
Tourist Information - Es Mercadal
General information on the island:
Tourist Information - Menorca

Municipality information Es Mercadal

The municipality of es Mercadal is situated in the geographic centre of Menorca, it grew next to the mount Toro (358 metres high, it is the highest mountain of the island). On the summit there is a defence tower (1558) and Santuari de la Verge del Toro (1670), patron saint of Menorca.

Once Menorca was conquered to the Moors (the footprint can be seen in the names of the rural fincas that begin with bini or al), by the Christian king Alfons III d'Aragó in 1287, some inhabitants from Girona established next to the mount Toro, raising a chapel for the patron saint of their town, Sant Narcís. King Jaume II established in 1301 the celebration of three menorcan markets around this parish.

The agricultural and farming sectors lead the municipal economy, guaranteeing the production of cheese with denomination of origin, the traditions and the preservation of this particular interior landscape of this island: green in the winter, stone walls and wooden barriers. There is also still a little industry of albarcas, the typical sandals of the farmers that are nowadays very popular for their design and simplicity.

The cultural variety includes the gastronomy, and especially the handcraft pastries (amargos, carquinyolis and guirlache), as well as Església de Sant Martín (Renaissance), the quiet streets with white houses (traditional architecture), the bridges over the torrent and the public water reservoir, still in use, built by the English governor Richard Kane.
The municipality has 17 beaches.
Main technical data
  • Length of the beach: 
  • Type of access: 
    For pedestrians
    For vehicles
    For boats
  • Average width: 
  • Access for disabled people: 
    Yes
    No
  • Anchoring zone: 
    Yes
    No
Send a postcard of the beach
Don't forget that all fields marked with
a sign ( # )and in red are required.
You have characters