Menorca Beach Guide (beta)

search beaches in Minorca:

Tourism information www.illesbalears.es

Platja de Cavalleria
Es Mercadal
Type of beach sand
Platja de Cavalleria

Platja de Cavalleria is situated at nine kilometres from es Mercadal, located between Punta des Vernís and de Ferragut. This coastal stretch is sheltered by the impressive Cap de Cavalleria (the northernmost cape of Menorca, with cliffs that rise 80 metres above the sea level, with spectacular panoramic views; you can reach it from the beach walking along a trail). It belongs to Àrea Natural d'Especial Interès de Cavalleria.

This sea inlet is characterized by being the origin of two virgin coves with fine-grained golden sand, it has the shape of a shell, it is quite big, with a system of dunes and a rare fixing vegetation at the rear, gentle slope, an orientation toward north, gentle breeze, the swell is moderate, and there is an area for mud baths on the right side; it is surrounded by medium-high cliffs and it is frequented by small boats.

Nudism is usual. The marine and underwater conditions for anchoring boats are not safe. Next to Punta des Vernís there is a reef, known as s'Escull d'en Vernís, and the strait is very dangerous. The best shelters are Port de Sanitja or Cala Torta.

The accessibility by car is easy following the signs. The last stretch is in bad conditions. The private car can be left on a free parking area in the surroundings. These characteristics explain that the beach is not very crowded by local visitors and tourists.

Information about this beach may change. To confirm the data or consult changes or new features, please contact the municipal tourism office below:
Tourist Information - Es Mercadal
General information on the island:
Tourist Information - Menorca

Municipality information Es Mercadal

The municipality of es Mercadal is situated in the geographic centre of Menorca, it grew next to the mount Toro (358 metres high, it is the highest mountain of the island). On the summit there is a defence tower (1558) and Santuari de la Verge del Toro (1670), patron saint of Menorca.

Once Menorca was conquered to the Moors (the footprint can be seen in the names of the rural fincas that begin with bini or al), by the Christian king Alfons III d'Aragó in 1287, some inhabitants from Girona established next to the mount Toro, raising a chapel for the patron saint of their town, Sant Narcís. King Jaume II established in 1301 the celebration of three menorcan markets around this parish.

The agricultural and farming sectors lead the municipal economy, guaranteeing the production of cheese with denomination of origin, the traditions and the preservation of this particular interior landscape of this island: green in the winter, stone walls and wooden barriers. There is also still a little industry of albarcas, the typical sandals of the farmers that are nowadays very popular for their design and simplicity.

The cultural variety includes the gastronomy, and especially the handcraft pastries (amargos, carquinyolis and guirlache), as well as Església de Sant Martín (Renaissance), the quiet streets with white houses (traditional architecture), the bridges over the torrent and the public water reservoir, still in use, built by the English governor Richard Kane.
The municipality has 17 beaches.
Main technical data
  • Length of the beach: 
    450 meters
  • Type of access: 
    For pedestrians
    For vehicles
    For boats
  • Average width: 
    22 meters
  • Access for disabled people: 
    Yes
    No
  • Degree of occupancy: 
    High
    Medium
    Low
  • Anchoring zone: 
    Yes
    No
Send a postcard of the beach
Don't forget that all fields marked with
a sign ( # )and in red are required.
You have characters