Menorca Beach Guide (beta)

search beaches in Minorca:

Tourism information www.illesbalears.es

Platja d'en Tortuga
Maó
Platja d'en Tortuga

Platja d'en Tortuga is situated at 17 kilometres from Maó, located between the cape with the same name and s'Arenal de Morella. It belongs to the Àrea Natural d'Especial Interès de s'Albufera es Grau (70 hectares in area, and an average depth of 1,5 metres, very rich landscape with many species of flora and fauna, so that the Unesco declared Menorca Reserve of the Biosphere in 1993.

This virgin beach has sand and gravel, it is the result of a very open sea inlet, which is also the origin of Platja de Capifort. It is surrounded by the sides of the hills that reach the sea. These rocks are quite high and are covered by the vegetation that is typical for the system of dunes located at the rear of this beach.

The marine and underwater conditions for anchoring boats are not good because the north and east coasts of Menorca are very unsafe. This is why the navigator who wants to reach this area should keep an eye on the weather forecast and the meteorological news. A change in the weather conditions can be very dangerous along this steep, abrupt coast with high cliffs.

The accessibility by car is easy following the signs and the deviations until the proximity of Cap (“cape”) de Favàritx. The private car can be left on a free parking area in the surroundings. From there you have to walk on a track along the coast and pass some coves until you reach this beautiful beach. It is a 45 minutes walk.

Information about this beach may change. To confirm the data or consult changes or new features, please contact the municipal tourism office below:
Tourist Information - Menorca

Municipality information Maó

The municipality of Maó is situated in the south-eastern area of Menorca, and the municipalities of Sant Climent and Llucmaçanes belong to it.

The first population centres were settled in a small space, surrounded by the cliffs of Port de Maó (a spectacular and beautiful sea inlet which is more than three miles deep and one of the most important ports of the Mediterranean Sea) and the canyons of Baixamar, Freginal and Clota.

The Greek, Phoenicians, Carthaginians and the Romans used the port for commerce and searched the skill of the honderos for their troops.

The history of the actual Maó begins after the conquest of Menorca to the Muslims by the Christian king Alfons III in 1287, when a new fortress was begun (Castell Sant Felip, walls, defence tower) and the construction of Església de Santa Maria.

During the Middle Ages, the town was closed in the several walled areas, although in the centuries after it grew behind these walls, as can be seen from the current aspect.

The 18th century is characterized by the British domination (administrative and commercial capital of Menorca) and also the French one (creation and worldwide spreading of the mayonnaise). During the 19th century it returned to the Spanish crown (1802, Treaty of Amiens). In the last third of the 20th century the touristy activity starts and the industries of jewellery and mahones cheese production get stronger.

The cultural variety includes Albufera des Grau, Far de Favàritx, el Llatzeret, la Mola, Trepucó, Camí de Torrelló, Illa del Rei.
The municipality has 10 beaches.
Main technical data
  • Length of the beach: 
  • Type of access: 
    For pedestrians
    For vehicles
    For boats
  • Average width: 
  • Access for disabled people: 
    Yes
    No
  • Anchoring zone: 
    Yes
    No
Send a postcard of the beach
Don't forget that all fields marked with
a sign ( # )and in red are required.
You have characters