Menorca Beach Guide (beta)

search beaches in Minorca:

Tourism information www.illesbalears.es

Platja de Capifort
Maó
Platja de Capifort

Platja de Capifort or Cala Presili is situated at 17 kilometres from Maó, located between Punta de Presili and Cap de Favàritx or Punta de Capifort, where the Àrea Natural d'Especial Interès of the Albufera es Grau finishes (70 hectares in area and an average depth of 1,5 metres; very rich landscape and many species of flora and fauna). This beach is the result of a very open sea inlet which is also the origin of other coastal corners, as s'Arenal de Morella. The sides of the hills in the surroundings are the natural breakwaters. They are quite high, abrupt and steep, with no vegetation.

The marine and underwater conditions for anchoring boats are good if you are very careful. This coastal corner is surrounded by two capes (Mossèn Vives and Favàritx). It is exposed to the wind from the east, although it is sheltered in the northern area by Punta de Capifort (high and steep cliffs, which continue in the sea for 0,9 nautical miles toward east). In the centre of the entrance there is a flagstone near the coast, at a depth of two metres.

The accessibility by car is easy following the signs and the deviations. The private car can be left on a free parking area in the surroundings. The last part has to be done on foot because it belongs to the natural reserve of s'Albufera es Grau.

Information about this beach may change. To confirm the data or consult changes or new features, please contact the municipal tourism office below:
Tourist Information - Menorca

Municipality information Maó

The municipality of Maó is situated in the south-eastern area of Menorca, and the municipalities of Sant Climent and Llucmaçanes belong to it.

The first population centres were settled in a small space, surrounded by the cliffs of Port de Maó (a spectacular and beautiful sea inlet which is more than three miles deep and one of the most important ports of the Mediterranean Sea) and the canyons of Baixamar, Freginal and Clota.

The Greek, Phoenicians, Carthaginians and the Romans used the port for commerce and searched the skill of the honderos for their troops.

The history of the actual Maó begins after the conquest of Menorca to the Muslims by the Christian king Alfons III in 1287, when a new fortress was begun (Castell Sant Felip, walls, defence tower) and the construction of Església de Santa Maria.

During the Middle Ages, the town was closed in the several walled areas, although in the centuries after it grew behind these walls, as can be seen from the current aspect.

The 18th century is characterized by the British domination (administrative and commercial capital of Menorca) and also the French one (creation and worldwide spreading of the mayonnaise). During the 19th century it returned to the Spanish crown (1802, Treaty of Amiens). In the last third of the 20th century the touristy activity starts and the industries of jewellery and mahones cheese production get stronger.

The cultural variety includes Albufera des Grau, Far de Favàritx, el Llatzeret, la Mola, Trepucó, Camí de Torrelló, Illa del Rei.
The municipality has 10 beaches.
Main technical data
  • Length of the beach: 
  • Type of access: 
    For pedestrians
    For vehicles
    For boats
  • Average width: 
  • Access for disabled people: 
    Yes
    No
  • Anchoring zone: 
    Yes
    No
Send a postcard of the beach
Don't forget that all fields marked with
a sign ( # )and in red are required.
You have characters