Menorca Beach Guide (beta)

search beaches in Minorca:

Tourism information www.illesbalears.es

Es Canutells
Cala Canutells
Maó
Type of beach sand
Es Canutells also known as Cala Canutells

Es Canutells or Cala Canutells is situated at 10 kilometres from Maó, located on the southeast coast of the island, between Punta de na Picada and Cap Gros, as well as next to the village with the same name and the residential area ses Tanques.

This beach is the result of a sinuous and narrow sea inlet. It is very small, with a sandy surface, it is exposed to the wind from the southeast and it is not very crowded by local visitors and tourists. It is located between the medium-high cliffs of a canyon, with lots of impressive caves and on the left side a village has been built.

The coast between Cala Canutells and Calescoves is 1,3 nautical miles long and it is characterized by the high, steep and abrupt cliffs that reach a height of seventy metres, with bushes on the top.

The marine and underwater conditions for anchoring boats are good, although the wind blows from the second and third quadrants, on a sandy ground with seaweed and rocks on the sides.

The accessibility by car is easy following the signs and the deviations. You will pass the village of Sant Climent, a very calm village, although it is near the airport of the island, and where there are lots of British residents. The private car can be left on a free parking area in the surroundings. you will reach this sandy area going down the stairs.

Information about this beach may change. To confirm the data or consult changes or new features, please contact the municipal tourism office below:
Tourist Information - Menorca

  • Anchorage
  • Parking
  • Restaurant
Municipality information Maó

The municipality of Maó is situated in the south-eastern area of Menorca, and the municipalities of Sant Climent and Llucmaçanes belong to it.

The first population centres were settled in a small space, surrounded by the cliffs of Port de Maó (a spectacular and beautiful sea inlet which is more than three miles deep and one of the most important ports of the Mediterranean Sea) and the canyons of Baixamar, Freginal and Clota.

The Greek, Phoenicians, Carthaginians and the Romans used the port for commerce and searched the skill of the honderos for their troops.

The history of the actual Maó begins after the conquest of Menorca to the Muslims by the Christian king Alfons III in 1287, when a new fortress was begun (Castell Sant Felip, walls, defence tower) and the construction of Església de Santa Maria.

During the Middle Ages, the town was closed in the several walled areas, although in the centuries after it grew behind these walls, as can be seen from the current aspect.

The 18th century is characterized by the British domination (administrative and commercial capital of Menorca) and also the French one (creation and worldwide spreading of the mayonnaise). During the 19th century it returned to the Spanish crown (1802, Treaty of Amiens). In the last third of the 20th century the touristy activity starts and the industries of jewellery and mahones cheese production get stronger.

The cultural variety includes Albufera des Grau, Far de Favàritx, el Llatzeret, la Mola, Trepucó, Camí de Torrelló, Illa del Rei.
The municipality has 10 beaches.
Main technical data
  • Length of the beach: 
    60 meters
  • Type of access: 
    For pedestrians
    For vehicles
    For boats
  • Average width: 
    50 meters
  • Access for disabled people: 
    Yes
    No
  • Degree of occupancy: 
    High
    Medium
    Low
  • Anchoring zone: 
    Yes
    No
Send a postcard of the beach
Don't forget that all fields marked with
a sign ( # )and in red are required.
You have characters